Who we are
- Engine manufacturers
- Ship owners
- Classification societies
- Fuel suppliers
- Handling equipment manufacturers
- Fuel analyst institutes
- Fuel additive suppliers
What we do
- Prepare recommendations for:
- Low-sulfur fuel quality and operation
- Combustion properties
- Fuel grade rationalization
- Bio fuels considerations
- Follow fuel quality worldwide
- Investigation of prerequisites for using fuel from different compositions
Who we work with
- We are a working group of experienced specialists within marine fuels, represented by the major players, and our goal is to prepare recommendations and make tools for the industry on how to operate on fuel, and choose fuels that will ensure safe operation of the diesel engines.
- Support the ISO 8217 Fuel Standard Group.
- Coordination with sister CIMAC WGs, such as USERS, Lube Oil and Emissions.
Our current projects and activities
- Ignition and Combustion Properties – Industry survey published on WG 7 webpage.
- Recommendation No. 21 “Recommendations regarding Fuel Quality for Diesel Engines”.
- Recommendation No. 25 “Recommendations concerning the design of heavy fuel treatment plants for diesel engines”.
- CIMAC WG7 contributed to the Joint Industry Project guidance document on ‘The supply and use of 0.50%-sulphur marine fuel’ (August 2019)
- Statement - CIMAC WG7 2018 Fuel Incidents [PDF] (November 2018)
- Guideline providing answers to FAQ from ISO 8217:2017 [PDF] (March 2017)
- Guideline on the Interpretation of Marine Fuel Analysis Test Results [PDF] (February 2016)
- Guideline on Filter Treatment of Residual Fuel Oils [PDF] (December 2015)
- Guideline on Sulphur Marine (ECA) fuels (June 2015)
- Guideline on Cold Flow Properties of Marine Fuel Oils [PDF)] (January 2015)
- Guideline on the interpretation of marine fuel oil anaylsis test results with particular reference to sulphur content [PDF] (September 2014)
- Guideline for the operation of marine engines on low sulphur distillate diesel. [PDF] (2013)
- CIMAC Survey on Ignition & Combustion Issues with Heavy Fuel Oil [DOKX] (January 2013)
- Guideline for Ship Owners and Operators on Managing Distillate Fuels up to 7.0 % v/v Fame (Biodiesel) [PDF] (Juli 2013)
Current subgroups include
- SG 1-1 - CFR (Certified Flow Rate)
- SG 1-2 - Separators
- SG 3 - pH / Corrosivity
- SG 4 - Stability / Compatibility
- SG 7 - VLSFO - Operational experience
- SG 10 - Alternative Fuels
- Working on: Fuel recommendations and fuel applications in eight sub-groups.
- Presentations and discussions by group members and external guest speakers.